With my first Crab Rangoon recipe being a success (at least for the Crab Rangoon lovers in my family), last night I decided to try them in the air fryer. See, I’m trying to be healthy (thanks Noom!). So I figured I’d try the old air fryer to see if I could still get a crispy, delicious crab rangoon without all that extra oil.
I prepared the filling and wontons exactly the way I had done it in the first recipe (see the original Crab Rangoon recipe here). Then I popped them into the basket of my air fryer that I had pre-heated to 400° F. I was able to get about half of them into the basket without crowding. I gave them a spray of cooking oil and fried them for 7 minutes.
They were really good. Not the same texture as deep fried rangoon, but crispy and light…really good. Taylor called them “divine”, so I guess that’s a win.
Air Fryer Crab Rangoon
Prep Time: 15 min Cook Time: 15 min Total Time: 30 min
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 5 crab sticks imitation crab meat, chopped (or you can use 6 oz. canned crab)
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. chopped scallions
- 18 wonton wrappers
- Cooking oil spray
- Water for sealing
- Preheat air fryer to 400° F.
- Gently mix cream cheese, sugar, salt, crab, scallions and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl.
- Place 1 tsp. filling in the center of each wonton.
- Moisten edges of the wonton with water. Pinch opposite corners in half, then bring together in the center and seal.
- Place wontons in air fryer basket, being careful not to crowd them (you may have to cook in 2 batches). Spray wontons with cooking oil spray and cook for 7 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.