Today was lasagna day. Every week I make a lasagna to give to a family in need my area that I’m matched with through Lasagna Love. They are a great organization. You should really check them out.
Anyway, since I haven’t posted the meat version of my Meat Lover’s Lasagna, only the Meatless version, I decided to take a quick second to post this recipe, since I am making these so much these days.
- Sometimes I use ground beef and sometimes I use ground turkey, depending on what’s on sale that week.
- Make sure to drain the meat after it browns. But if you don’t drain it all, don’t stress about it.
- Don’t skimp on simmering the sauce. You want to make sure that the flavors have had a chance to meld before assembling the lasagna. That’s something only a good simmering will accomplish.
- Once you have assembled and baked, don’t forget to let your finished creation rest for 10-15 minutes. This let’s everything settle so you get clean slices and avoid a sloppy mess.
Really Meaty Meat Lover’s Lasagna
Prep Time: 50 min Cook Time: 1 hour 5 min Total Time: 1 hour 55 min
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 28 oz can ground tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 24 oz mozzarella cheese, grated (can use more)
- 32 oz ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 16 oz box lasagna pasta
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add chopped onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute until garlic is fragrant.
- Add ground beef and Italian sausage and cook, stirring frequently until browned.
- Drain fat from beef/sausage mixture.
- Stir tomato paste into ground mixture and cook 1-2 minutes. Add red wine and simmer 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, water, oregano, basil, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for approximately 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente, drain and set aside.
- Lightly spray a 14 x 11 1/2 x 2 1/4 baking dish (or two smaller size baking dishes) with non stick spray then add a small amount of meat sauce mixture in the bottom of dish. Spread around.
- Add a layer of lasagna noodles.
- Next, spread 1/3 of the ricotta cheese on top of pasta.
- Spoon 1/4 meat sauce mixture on top of ricotta.
- Sprinkle with 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese.
- Next add 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat 2 layers of pasta, ricotta cheese, meat sauce mixture, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese.
- Final layer is pasta, remaining meat sauce mixture and remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil, cook for approximately 50-60 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Let rest for 15 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!