Have you ever gotten to lunch time and thought “I really want something fresh and warm and full of flavor. I need some comfort food”? This delicious combo of black beans, veggies and whole grains is easy to whip up and soooooo satisfying. It’s my go-to when I’m craving a fresh, clean, warm meal.
I always have the main ingredients for this type of bowl in stock:
- Canned black beans
- Precooked brown rice or other grain pouches (Uncle Ben’s and Earthly Choice have good ones)
- Onions, peppers, tomato, garlic
- Fresh herbs – I have a small herb garden during the summer, but the small herb plants you can get at the grocery store are good in the winter months.
These are all things that you can use to whip up a delicious, quick, easy meal, so I always make sure I’m stocked up.
From start to finish, this takes about 20 minutes, including prep time. It’s great as is, or garnished with some sour cream, guacamole (here’s my Easy Peasy Lime Squeezy Guac recipe) or shredded cheese.
Here’s the recipe. If you give this a try, please let me know how it came out. I’d love to hear from you. Follow me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook for more stories and recipes from my family table to yours.
Quick & Easy Black Bean Bowl
Prep Time: 5 min. Cook Time: 15 Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- ½ cup green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ jalapeno, seeded and diced (optional)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- ¼ cup corn
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, or other cooked grain
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Heat oil in large saute pan over medium high heat.
- Add onion, green pepper and red pepper. Cook 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic and jalapeno. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomato, black beans, corn, rice and spices. Cook 5-6 minutes or until heated through and the tomatoes have just begun to cook down.
- Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro and lime juice and serve.
One Comment Add yours